Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Burma Pre-Port

Burma: Where the Buddha smiles on a monsoon of color.

Myanmar: Where a harsh military junta slays and tortures thousands of indigenous peoples every year; where est. 20,000 girls from hill tribe are SOLD to pimps in Thailand who will sell their bodies as “virgins” hundreds of times over- The girls are told they’re going to wash dishes.

These are the same country- the ethnically heterogeneous array of tribal peoples- ear and neck stretchers- lake peoples- monks- and the draconian government that crams it all together.

We are pulling up on this country now- the literal meaning of sea level has been made visually clear as we pass vast stretches of green, floating homes of natural fibers, and small boats whose owner’s must gaze at us in awe: “What on earth is that giant- moving so fast and soo very huge.”

Entering this river delta I find one of the most unique landscapes I could imagine. This morning the river was green- a splendid jade and the wake we turned up was brown- shallow river water. As the ship pulls in, tiny villages and water buffalo can be seen close by. In the distance: gold. For an impoverished nation, GOLD gilded pagodas dot the landscape with surprising frequency. The Schwedagon can be seen already from the ship- along with perhaps five others. We haven’t even approached the city yet.

Supposedly, these will be the most kindhearted amazing people we encounter. I have been drawn to this place since my early youth. Clothes tag: Made in Burma. Where the hell is that? Oh- and then the two page spread of Pagan. Well I’m headed there now. Tomorrow, perhaps, I’ll be on a plane. (This likely won’t make it to post until post- Burma, but I’ll write it now).

No comments: