Monday, October 30, 2006

Nutmeg, chocolate, and the Middle East

So- the first two really just refer to the best hot chocolate I’ve ever had- which I packed full of fresh, not-ground nutmeg and cinnamon from Kerala. Whoot.

The Middle East: We’re a few hours from our port, and tomorrow morning I’ll be headed toward Cairo. Holy shit. I feel magnetism toward this place. I’m quite unsure as to its source, but I’m really attracted to the middle east. I have all these constructs in my head- what an Egyptian marketplace will look like, how the pyramids will make me feel, and an idealized version I’m sure of Bedouins with gorgeous rugs and tents camping in the desert- and I’m excited to see my reaction to the realities of all these things.

I talked to the interport student about the possibility of camping with Bedouins—his response: “But your hands are too small. How will you drive the camel? It will be very hard-you need big hands.”

No comments: