Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Return to India


Wow.

I needed to have fun. I couldn't follow Burma with more pain- so off we went. Me + two cool dudes- headed to Kerala.

I used to list off India- color, smoke, dirt--Rosemary would always say spice and I never thought why. Well wow.

Day one we flew into Cochin. Kerala is the richest state in India. No beggars, few hindus- christians, muslims, and hell- a jew town (even called Jew Town). We went around with Babu who took us to see the Chinese fishing nets amongst other things. Think of hugely elegant bamboo nets lowered in and out of the water via a pulley system.

Day two- on to Kumily. Town in the cardamom hills of South India- spice plantations- ginger, coffee, lemongrass, cinnamon, cloves...the scents filled the air everywhere. We did a short day hike in the Periyar Wildlife Refuge (tigers and elephants--neither of which we saw in the wild...). Later toured a spice plantation and rode an elephant. Beautiful people, beautiful children, beautiful land. Last night we slept in a tree house.

It was such a contrast to see that side of India. Rich, christian, beautiful. No cows in the street, no garbage in the gutters, no chai shops on the sidewalk. This country truly is everything.

But shabam- this morning we pulled into Madurai. It's hot- it's crowded- it's a city in India. Now I remember. Hello? Madam? Where are you going?

I still love it. Love hate.

No comments: